OTT platforms have become a major source of entertainment after the COVID-19 pandemic. One of the most popular OTT platforms around the world is Netflix which is famous for its diverse and quality content. People love binge-watching Netflix in their free time.
Netflix has taken the help of AI and automation to keep its viewers hooked to the platform. One of the features that Netflix uses to grab the attention of its viewers is the autoplay feature. This feature is beneficial for Netflix, but it is intrusive and annoying for its users. Some users find this feature helpful, but some do not. To give its viewers more freedom to choose what they want to see on this platform, Netflix has allowed users to disable the autoplay feature if they wish to do so.
What is the Autoplay feature on Netflix?
Autoplay is when a video plays automatically without the intervention of the viewer. Netflix uses its AI tools to predict what the users want to watch and plays that video without the user’s permission. This approach can keep the viewers hooked to the platform for a longer period and OTT platforms always aim to increase the time a user spends on their platform.
However, some users like to have control over what they want to see. They like to play the videos manually. That is why Netflix has given them the option to turn on and off the autoplay option as per their preference.
What is the use of Autoplay in Netflix?
Netflix uses autoplay in two cases:
- Playing the preview of the content while the user is scrolling over – Viewers often scroll through Netflix to find out which content they want to watch next or sometimes just to look at what types of content are available on the platform. If a user stops scrolling, even for a few seconds, scrutinizing content, an autoplay of the preview of that content starts. Most of the time, it is the trailer of a movie or a web show. This autoplay aims to let the users know more about the content they are scrutinizing and to pique their curiosity. However, sometimes, this can be annoying to the viewers if they are not in the mood to watch a trailer or if they are not in the right place or time to watch it. If, by default, the volume of the device is up, then the sound of the preview can be disturbing.
- Playing the next episode of a series automatically after a few seconds – When one episode of a web series ends, Netflix automatically starts the next episode after a short countdown. This is useful if the user is in the mood to binge-watch. This autoplay is created to maintain continuity and keep the viewers engaged for a longer period. But users can turn off this autoplay if they wish to decide whether they want to watch the next episode or not.
How to turn off an Autoplay on Netflix on the Web?
It is very easy to turn off autoplay on Netflix. One just needs to follow a few simple steps:
Step 1: Open your Netflix account from the web. You need to log in to your account. You are required to turn off the autoplay for each of your accounts separately.
Step 2: Go to Profile and Parental Controls. There you will find the Playback Settings option. Click on Change next to Playback Settings. It will take you to another page.
Step 3: There, you will find both the Autoplay controls. Just uncheck the box next to autoplay the next episode in a series on all devices and Autoplay previews while browsing all devices. You can uncheck both of the boxes or any one of them according to your choice. Unchecking the boxes will turn off the autoplay.
Step 4: Lastly, you need to click on the Save button to save the changes you have made. And you are done.
Sometimes, you may not see the results instantly. But if you refresh the page or log out and log in once again, you will find that the autoplays are turned off. You can also turn them on by following the same steps and checking the boxes. Once autoplay is turned off in one device, it applies to all other devices.
On Mobile Apps
To turn off autoplay on your iOS or Android phone/tablet:
- Open the Netflix app and tap the profile icon.
- Tap ‘App Settings’.
- For iOS, toggle ‘Autoplay’ to off. On Android, toggle ‘Autoplay next episode in a series’ to off.
- These steps switch autoplay off across all profiles on your mobile device. Repeat on any other phones or tablets that use your Netflix account.
On Smart TVs and Streaming Devices
On smart TVs, game consoles and streaming devices:
- From your profile, go to Settings or Account.
- Locate Playback Settings.
- Disable the option to autoplay next episodes.
- The setting placement varies by device but is generally under profile or account management. This turns autoplay off for all profiles on that device only.
Troubleshooting Netflix Autoplay
If autoplay keeps playing despite your settings, a few fixes can help:
- Double check you disabled autoplay for each individual profile. The settings are profile-specific.
- Close and restart the app after changing the settings. This refreshes autoplay to align with your preference.
- Check for app updates to ensure you have the latest version. Updates sometimes include fixes for autoplay issues.
- Log out fully and back into your profile. This syncs your account with the updated autoplay status.
- As a last resort, uninstall and reinstall the app to fully reset autoplay.