If you are looking for the answer for How to lock a channel on Discord, you are at the right place. In this blog, we will look into how this is done in various devices and operating systems.
Discord is one of the popular sites for gamers to share their views with like-minded people. To increase the reach of the channel, Discord lets the channels be created free, implying anyone can join it any time. However, many times this feature turns into issues like overcrowding, which is an annoying part, especially for the creators and administrators. In this context, many creators ask questions like How to Lock a Channel on Discord. Does Discord let anyone block a channel? If Yes, how? Let us look into the answers to all these queries in this post.
Can You Lock A Discord Server?
Discord listens to the queries and concerns of all its users. Since overcrowding and related issues are becoming common in the platform, the company has addressed the same by offering options to block a server. That confirms-Yes, You can block a server on Discord. You can do it from the site settings. An additional benefit that users get is that they can also set a time span for which the server is to be blocked. You can choose any time span between 7 hours to any longer interval; you can also permanently lock it.
What Does Locking a Channel Mean?
Now that we have comprehended that Discord allows blocking a channel/server, you may be enticed to know what locking a channel does. Let’s interpret the same in the following lines:
- Restrict people to speak and listen in case of voice channels
- Selective permission or no permission to anyone in the channel.
- Locked Users can only see the messages but cannot share anything until they are unlocked. Thus locking can make a channel into the read-only format.
How To Lock Channel On Discord In Various Devices?
Before we look into how to lock a channel on Discord, it is crucial to understand that you must have administrative rights. This is because only the creator or the administrator has the power to operate and make changes in the group. Moreover, locking a channel allows the users to check the older messages but not send new ones.
Comprehending the same, let us look into how to lock a channel on Discord in various devices in the following lines:
How to Lock a Channel in Discord on a PC/Desktop?
Locking a channel in Discord on a PC/Desktop is not complicated. Inferring the steps elucidated below can make you do this effortlessly. Here’s how you can lock a discord channel on PC:
- Step 1: Open Your Favorite Browser and navigate to the Discord site
- Step 2: Once the Discord dashboard is loaded, go to the channel you want to block, and choose the settings icon.
- Step 3: You will see the settings is opened in a new window, click on Permissions and then choose @everyone
- Step 4: Select the Cross icon against every permission on the page to block these.
- Step 5: Once you are addressed all the permissions, click on Save Changes to confirm these changes and block the channel successfully.
How to Lock a Discord Channel on Discord on Android?
While we have comprehended how to lock a channel on PC, it is also crucial to understand that doing the same in android is also similarly effortless. To comprehend this better, let us look into how is it done in the following lines:
- Step 1: Navigate and launch the Discord app on your mobile phone.
- Step 2: Go to and tap on the server which you want to lock
- Step 3: You can now see Server Settings on your screen. Find the three dots at the top-right side and tap on them.
- Step 4: Choose the channel that you want to lock.
- Step 5: Select on Permissions and then on Add a role
- Step 6: Select @everyone; you can now see the list of permission you can edit.
- Step 7: Tap on the cross for every permission
- Step 8: Now go to the Blue Disk Icon at the bottom right side of your screen and tap on it to save the changes made.
Don’t want to lock Completely? Try Locking Roles
If you want to restrict people to some applications only, then you may lock roles to customize the level of restriction in the channel. Here’s how you can do it:
- Step 1: Open your favorite browser and launch Discord in it
- Step 2: In the home page/Dashboard page, go to the desired server and right-click on it.
- Step 3: Choose Roles in the list that appears
- Step 4: You can see a list of Roles in the new screen you can manage. Choose a role that you desire
- Step 5: Toggle Off Manage Roles
Here you go! You now know how to lock a channel on Discord. You have seen how it is done across various devices in this post. Not only this, relevant insights provided can make you infer the concept of locking better. Many people want to customize their permissions but end up locking being not aware of the roles feature. Check out the relevant lines above to see how they can be managed too. We hope this post has made your Discord experience finer.