Google Chrome might be one of the best browsers out there, but it shows some annoying errors a lot of time. One such error is the profile error. The google chrome profile error of windows 10 is one of the most searched errors, as many people face this problem repeatedly.
If this error occurs, you won’t be able to use settings and features like storing passwords, history, bookmarks, plugins, and even sync between Chrome Profile Account support devices. To fix a foolproof solution to the error, finding out the reason behind this becomes the most crucial thing to do.
If you wish to know why I am getting a profile error on google chrome, then you are at the right place. In this article, I will tell you why the google chrome profile error of windows 10 occurs and what to do to fix it. Being one of the most popular and commonly used web browsers, there are plenty of solutions to every issue on google chrome.
- Why Am I Getting A Profile Error On Google Chrome?
- Google Chrome Profile Error Windows 10 – Possible Fixes
- How Do I Fix Errors On Google Chrome?
Why Am I Getting A Profile Error On Google Chrome?
If you are getting constant errors on your Google Chrome, which say that you have a profile error, you might find that many of your features are not working too. In such a situation, you might think, How do I fix errors on Google Chrome?
Before knowing How to fix something that went wrong when opening your profile, it is imperative to understand the reasons behind it. If you are getting constant profile errors, then these could be some reasons for it –
Corrupted local cache
A cache is a folder in a browser that stores corrupted files locally. These corrupted files get stored to cache in case of encountering unsafe web data or websites. If this is the reason your profile error occurs, you may have to delete the local cache folder or the files inside it. It is a common problem as most users face this issue, and clearing cache is often the remedy for it.
Overprotective Antivirus Interference
Sometimes, your antivirus enables a security tool that causes this problem. Antivirus secures your system from outside corrupted and harmful files that make it help some overprotective tool that results in this cause.
There are several reasons users get affected by this error, such as some browser extensions or system files of the AVG toolbar (avgtpx64.sys). You can prevent this error by uninstalling and deleting these files.
The google chrome profile error of windows 10 is a common one; therefore, there are ample fixes and methods that you can try if you wish to know how do I fix errors on Google Chrome?
Google Chrome Profile Error Windows 10 – Possible Fixes
Sometimes your profile gets interrupted or corrupted, which can show the stated error. This problem can be solved by deleting your current account and creating a new one. If you don’t want to delete your account directly, try resetting your Google browser settings and checking if the error is still there or has gone.
How Do I Reset My Google Chrome Profile?
If you are getting Google chrome profile error windows 10, resetting the profile could be one method that can be a foolproof one. Resetting the google chrome profile refers to restoring the browser setting as default.
It will delete all the following settings from the browser.
- default search engine
- Homepage and tabs
- new tab page
- Tabs that you have pinned or bookmarked
- content settings
- Cookies and site data
- extensions and themes
If you’re ready to reset your profile and want these settings to be the default, follow the following steps:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More three dots to open the menu option, then click to Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced. Under “Reset and cleanup,” click Reset Settings.
- And then Reset Settings.
These steps won’t provide a full reset. But still, help you to clean your browser in a customized way.
Therefore, if you are on a quest to know, How do you fix something that went wrong when opening your profile? This could be one good fix. If this doesn’t seem to work for you, you can also try the below-mentioned methods.
How Do I Fix Errors On Google Chrome?
Getting errors on google chrome is expected; therefore, you can try one of these methods if you face a profile issue on your web browser.
Method 1: Deleting the Web Data or Cache files
Deleting these files won’t remove any data or personal information. If you wish to eliminate the profile error, you must delete the cache files.
- Close all chrome tabs and windows.
- Now press Windows key + R to open the run dialog box.
- Now, type %localappdata% in the search box and then press Enter.
- The local folder will open up for you in the file explorer of your window.
- Now go to the Google folder and select it to open.
- Then click Chrome and User Data > Data inside it.
- Now search for the Web Data file and right-click on it, and select Delete to delete it.
- Now open Google Chrome And see if your error is solved or not.
If you’re still encountering the error, return to AppData / Local / Google / Chrome / UserData using the steps above and delete the Local State file too. Now, check your chrome browser. If the error message is still occurring, move down to the following method below.
Method 2: Eliminate the risk of interference with 3rd party AV
AVG antivirus can be the reason for this error as this antivirus installs the AVG toolbar in your browser to protect you from harmful internet viruses and threats. But sometimes, it causes problems like Profile errors in your browser or chrome browser. To fix the issue, remove avgtpx64.sys from Windows/system32/drivers directory. After doing that, the problem should be resolved.
As secure as these antivirus programs make your computer, they might cause the google chrome profile error of windows 10.
There are some steps by which you can remove this from your driver’s directory. Let’s move on to them:
- Press the Windows + R key to open the Run dialog box. Next type ‘appwiz. Cpl’ and click the Enter key.
- Then it will open the control panel >Programs> Program and features.
- AVG Technology released the toolbar called AVG SafeGuard. The antivirus program name can vary, but it can be referred to as AVG Secure Scan or AVG Toolbar.
- Right-click on the AVG toolbar, select Delete and follow the on-screen instructions to remove the tool from your desktop.
- Click the OK button to close Google Chrome. Go to the Plugins tab after you select and click on the More Tools button.
- In the list, search for AVG Stable Search, and then click the Remove button.
- Lastly, go to Windows > System32 > Cars, set up avgtpx64.sys, and uninstall everything.
- Now, open Google Chrome and see if the error still occurs.
Method 3: End All Chrome Processes
How do you fix something that went wrong when opening your profile has an easy answer. Sometimes due to some chrome background processes running on, this error can fail in your browser. So to deal with it, you should End all chrome processes on your system.
To do so, you just need to –
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the task manager.
- When the task manager opens, go to the processes tab.
- Now search Google Chrome and right-click on it. Choose the End Task.
- If there is more than one process running on, do step 4 for all of them.
- After that, close the task manager and open the google chrome browser to check if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 4: Check If You’re Using The Latest Version Of Chrome
Often, a profile error might occur if you are using an older version of Google Chrome. For times like such, installing a newer version would be the way to go.
- Open Google Chrome browser, and on the top right corner, click three dots to see the menu. Now go to Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear, showing you the current version of Chrome. The application will automatically check for updates and download them.
- Now check if you’re updated and using the stable version of Chrome. If not, download and install the required version and see if the issue gets resolved or not.
Sometimes, due to stated reasons or technical glitches, Google Chrome fails to work correctly and shows various errors and issues. As convenient and handy as this browser is, Google chrome profile error windows 10 can be pretty annoying, and if you have a question of Why am I getting a profile error on Google Chrome? Then you have got all the answers now. If still, your problem does not rectify, then it is best to call a technician, who will have a sure shot solution to this problem.